Sunday, April 1, 2012

Blog 5

Back in the day I believe  that wearing warm clothing in the winter would prevent you from having a cold or the flu. However growing up  has help me to understand that not all things I believe in as a child is the truth today.

I have come to realization that wearing long sleeve and layer of clothing do not prevent the flu or the common cold. I have learned these are protection for the body , and the common cold and flu is caught by contact and some are air born.

I remember as a little girl my mother would say make sure you dress warm, or you will get a cold. I grew up hearing this and I was a believer until I worked in the medical field I learned that the common cold is contagious by coming in contact with germs such as touching  a surface that was previously touched by someone who sneeze or cough in their hand and someone come along and touch that area. Take for instant the preschool teacher who often help to wipe the snort form children noses, if she do not practice hand washing between each child she helped, she can pass the cold germs to each child.I often read the medical journal which usually have a section on the common cold and flu,and how to avoid them. The advice the journal gave is to always practice hand washing and get the flu shot yearly.

 I remember a few years ago I worked in the nursing home one of  the resident contact the flu from one of her family member who came to visit her. The virus was spread through the entire nursing home even the staff member got very sick the administration at to shut down the entire home no visitor were allowed in until everything was safe

my maturity and knowledge of the truth that while wearing long sleeve or layers of clothing do not prevent the common cold or flu.



























No comments:

Post a Comment